Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Black Swan


We watched this last night & it is definitely a psychological thriller as stated on the dvd box.

It's basically about a young woman who lives with her narcisstic mother but in the end loses herself..we kinda looked at each-other at the end it was all a bit "What the??"

There’s definite mental abuse that Nina (Natalie Portman) has to go through everyday with a Mother that is very intrusive. The mother is quite crazy and unstable at times, like the time when she’s about to throw the cake in trash. (We both looked at each-other & said "that's your/Mum!").. And then Nina pretends to be someone she doesn’t wanna be just to calm her down~ BEEN THERE DONE THAT.

Another time when the mum loses it is just before Mila Kunis visits Nina’s apartment. The mum’s all like "Hows your back? Take off your shirt" etc. Nina dislikes herself so she self harms (never been there thankfully!!). The Mum is also very intrusive and gives no privacy to Nina. Because of the stress at home and at work, Nina starts to lose it in the real world. She becomes recluse and distant with other people even when they’re perfectly nice to her, she starts to go crazy within her head.

1) it is tragic that she was abused and oppressed. 2) the film is a tragedy because she passed away at the moment that she seemed to break free. Maybe she was finally ready to begin healing after, “reaching perfection”. Or maybe madness had then completely confounded her.

When the costume lady is doing the final fitting. She doesn’t see the scratches on her back. I don't know why this upset me afterwards. Probably cause its how it is. Nobody wants to see it- nobody acknowledges what’s happening. Its as if she is invisible. She really isn’t important.


Good movie do see it! But be prepared for it to not make any sense in some parts until afterwards you've finished watching it & you can go over it again in your own mind. Some of the above I have copied & pasted because I simply can't convey the movie myself to make sense. That & it's easier (haha)!

5 comments:

Ruth said...

From the description I may need to give it a miss. Visuals are my largest trigger and this sounds like it is loaded. I am sorry she didn't get to know that there is life outside of the madness. My counselor commented on how intensely I enjoy happiness. I am happy to say there is life after madness.

said...

Yeah you better not then because it is pretty loaded!!! I notice you are always happy too & that makes me happy for you hearing of the things you've had to deal and struggle with♥

Ruth said...

Not always happy but I sure enjoy the feeling and work at keeping the feeling going. Thanks for the confirmation that giving it a miss is a good plan. I hope the movie does help those that haven't recognized that they are in an abusive relationship. Sometimes watching someone else helps to understand your own life.

said...

♥ sure does

Scatha said...

This movie was triggering for me, all the scenes with the mother, but especially the cake scene. It took a few seconds until I have realized that my eyes were wet.
Been there, done that.